Friday, July 11, 2008

Frugal Friday #11

Farmer's markets & road side stands are a fantastic resource. I frequent them for all the things I don't grow myself.

Take this week, we stopped at a local farm to buy some hay for mulching the garden. I also picked up 2 quarts of strawberries and a quart of cherries.

Well we ate most of the cherries & a quart of strawberries that day and the day after, leaving me with a quart that didn't get dealt with right away. We mulched all of our gardens including the flower beds so the day was pretty much spent on that. By the time I got to cleaning & taking care of them 3 days later I had to toss about a 1/4 of the quart.

So my frugal tip is to only buy what you know you can handle in a short period of time, if not that day. The produce that goes to the grocery store will last longer "on the shelf" than fresh picked local. Something I get out of the habit of during winter!

No comments: