Sunday, June 15, 2008

What are you giving up?

Homemaker Barbi has written a post What I'm Willing to Give Up. So I am responding:

I have already given up TV. We turned our Sat off last month. We have not missed it much at all. We have been watching all our old DVDs & VHS tapes. We didn't miss "Lost" or "Battlestar Galactica" because they are available online. We even got to watch the Mid-season Finale of Battlestar before it aired on TV, cool!

As for the other stuff we used to watch, I don't think I miss it. We had finally watched enough of Charmed for a while. I still think there are a couple episodes I haven't seen, but I think I'll live!!!

I get updates in my email for the soaps I watched. Although really in the last couple years I haven't been paying attention that much. Things also didn't change too much either, at least not for the good!

As for news, we get all we need online. There isn't great local coverage on the TV anyways. I only buy papers on Sunday for the ads & coupons (and garden mulch!!!). There isn't much "news" in them anyways.

I am not into the current election hype, I made my choice a LONG time ago & the only thing that will change my choice between now & November would be withdrawal from the campaign.

I was sorry to hear of the passing of Tim Russert, though. He was a local boy & "Meet the Press" was the first show of it's kind I could stand to watch. We didn't watch every Sunday, but we watched regularly.

Things I am doing with my time instead of watching TV:
1. De-cluttering, my yard sale pile is H-U-G-E
2. Reading, letting my nerd roots show, re-reading the The Lord of the Rings (50th Anniversary Edition) to compare with The Lord of the Rings - The Motion Picture Trilogy (Platinum Series Special Extended Edition). I also picked up Interview with the Vampire at a yardsale.
3. Gardening, We will be putting in the last garden this evening. I have lots of weeding & maintaining to do.
4. Hanging out in the yard with the kids
5. Baseball, baseball & more baseball. We have 4 games & a practice this week alone.

I'm sure we will turn it back on in the fall, or maybe not. We signed the Prince up for peewee football, so we will be busy with that starting in August.

No comments: