Saturday, October 11, 2008
Good Deals & Smart Steals - Giveaway!!!
How to save money on everything!
This book gives tips on everything from installing dimmer switches to save up to 20% on your energy bills and double the life of your bulbs; to using online shopping, shopping strategies, home improvement ideas all geared to save you money.
I was given an excerpt of 10 tips to help you save on your winter heating bills.
1. Be a water heater cheater - Set your heater to 10 or 20 degrees. For every 10 degrees you could save 3 to 5%.
2. Dodge the drafts - weather stripping, caulk (my friend!), insulate electrical boxes, even draft stops.
3. Heat Smart - Programmable thermostats are worth every penny. Ours wasn't that expensive, I think $30. But the amount of money we've saved has been amazing.
4. Give yourself space - Use a space heater in the most used room of the house, turn the whole house thermostat down.
5. Dial Down - Lower the thermostat setting 2 degrees to save up to $40 on your heating bill.
6. Insulate - Wrap your hot water heater, hot water pipes, all pipes running to unheated areas. We always find ways to add insulation with every project we complete!
7. Draw the drapes - Heavy drapes can help retain heat, don't believe me just stick your hand behind one on a below 0 day... It's scary!!!
8. Plant Trees- South & West planted trees help shade your house in the summer, and let the sun warm it in winter. That's the best kind of solar use! Free.
9. Go Green - Replace heating with Energy Star rated, tankless water heaters, technology is a good thing!
10. Ask for an audit - Some gas & electric offer free audits to let you know where to make changes to save on utility bills.
These are just a small sampling of the great tips that can be found in this amazingly helpful book. Somethings may seem like common sense to us die hard frugalists, but there are a ton of haggling tips too. That is one area I tend to fail miserably at. I also love the Penny Wise Pound Foolish and the Shop Smart blurbs.
Thanks to Meryl L. Moss Media Relations, Inc. I have one copy to give away, all you have to do is leave a comment on this post. Make sure I can contact you (email address, blog with contact info) by 9PM October 24th, 2008.
Good Deals & Smart Steals: How to Save Money on Everything from the editors of Good Housekeeping Magazine, Hearst Books, Sterling Publishing, ISBN 978-1-58816-690-6.
My Money Story is also giving away TWO copies of this book too!