Friday, April 11, 2008

Frugal burnout & the garden

I feel like I crashed & burned! It's like I hit a wall, no motivation!!! I have been busy feeding sourdough starters & cleaning the house. Of course all the flining of the clutter has me frustrated. It's like I know where it all comes from but it doesn't seem possible that there is that much of it.

All I seem to see are all the projects that need to be done & things that need to be bought. New bathroom towels, new bedding for me & the Princess, new curtains all around the house, table lamps (my current desk lamp is a kitty, very grown up!) some more totes for the stuff going into the basement for storage.... buy buy buy spend spend spend. I can't wait for yard sale season to start, maybe I'll be able to pick up some things that will fit my design style (oh who am I kidding, I don't have a "style"!) Of course this is why I think I am reluctant about removing the clutter, with the clutter gone I see the "house" as it is, badly in need of repair & decorating.

I think I'm feeling this way over my last trip to the grocery store, anyone try to buy shortening lately, yikes! Everything is going up in price which is going to seriously cut back on the amount of things we bring home for the same money. Even with coupons, it's going to get harder. My plan is to make more things from scratch, but even the basics are more. Milk, eggs, flour, butter, cheese, all are basics and all are way over priced.

Guess I'll go back to watching the ads & coupons & only buying what's on sale for the rest of my food items! We do have our seeds for our garden. I've already started some cherry tomato plants, mostly because we are going to put them in pots for the Princess to pick at. I might try to sun-dry some if she doesn't eat them all!!!

We will be planting corn, peas, peppers, jalapeƱo peppers, cucumbers, beans, zucchini, tomatoes for canning & salsa, pumpkins, watermelon, and for a change lemon cucumbers. I am thinking about doing the lemon cucumbers in a pot too with a trellis. I also have to find a permanent home for my chocolate mint plant & try to encourage the strawberries we planted last year, so far I've only spotted one of the 2 out there. I need to get the tiller up here & work up the garden so I can add the compost & improve the soil before it's time to plant.

We won't be planting outside for about a month so I have time. So we'll have the garden to look forward to, but I do need to go spend some $ first. WE need some peat, mulch & fertilizer, I don't have tons of compost but I have lots of garden to cover!!!

The front garden didn't get as decomposed as I thought it would, I tossed some ouf our dry wall scraps out there after reading about it online & used papers, leaves & cardboard to cover the area. It didn't really all decompose over the winter like it was supposed to but I'll remove what is left & work in the small stuff. Then we'll have to go buy some plants to put there. Right now it is an empty garden begging for landscaping. Maybe I'll submit pics to the DIY ugly yard contest! I bet I'd qualify!

No comments: