Wednesday, December 3, 2008

My Favorite Local Wines for the Holidays (or anytime)

There is one thing that I throw my "cheap" hat out the window for and that is wine! Don't get me wrong, sometimes a $10 jug will do, but I'll splurge on local wines if I can! By splurge I still don't spend over $20 (in fact it's usually under $15). New York state has some fabulous wineries & I am unlucky lucky enough to have the Chautauqua Wine Trail in my back yard! Most of our wines are available in our local wine & liquor stores so I can get a variety in one stop. Of course it is nice to stop into the winery, especially if you want to try before you buy!

Sparkling Ponds makes a few I enjoy but our favorite is the "Woman Pleaser" the splash of cranberry is a nice touch, very drinkable.

Vetter Vineyards is a small rural winery with a big selection of nice wines.
Brig Niagara and the Concord are 2 of my favorites.

On a wine trail tour a few years ago we discovered Willow Creek Wines had a Merlot that I could drink. That is an accomplishment, since I don't care for the dry oak-y stuff.

One of our older wineries has an annual Strawberry Festival and they make a Strawberry Festival Wine that is tasty & fun! They also make my current favorite Bella Rosa, it's a very nice semi-sweet red.

With New York making it more winery friendly in recent years, we have had several new ones that I haven't had a chance to visit yet (like 5 or so!) We'll get there some time I'm sure, guess I'll have to drag my Mom out for a couple stops some Sunday afternoon!!!





Stumble It!

No comments: