Thursday, March 15, 2007

Laundry on my mind

I have been contemplating making the homemade laundry soap which uses
1/2 cup of 20 Mule Team Borax, 76 oz
1/2 cup of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda, 55 oz
and 1/3of a grated bar of Fels-Naptha Laundry Bar Soap


I have my reservations about using it but I think that I will pick up the ingredients. My main reservation is that I love, no LOVE liquid laundry soap. I never had luck with powder, especially since I only use cold water.

Stop the Ride Stephanie made it for her Make it From Scratch Carnival, only she used Ivory soap.
Frugal Upstate Jenn offered it along with many other great laundry tips!

Right now I am using All Small & Mighty, Triple Concentrated Liquid Laundry Detergent, Free Clear, Case Pack, Nine - 32 Load Bottles (288 Loads). I bought it locally with a $1.50 off coupon. I really like the free & clear, because there is no smell to conflict with my new favorite fabric softeners, Snuggle Exhilarations, 3x Concentrate Fabric Softener, Melon & Lotus Flower, 32 Loads (Pack of 9) that I picked up on sale with a $1.50 off of 2 coupon. My laundry doesn't smell too girly either, but it doesn't exactly smell manly!!!

I found these recipes at Soaps Gone Buy

3 Pints Water
1/3 bar Fels Naptha Soap, grated
1/2 cup Washing Soda (Arm and Hammer, NOT baking soda though!!)
1/2 cup 20 Mule Team Borax
2 Gallon bucket to mix it in
1 Quart hot water
Hot Water
Mix Fels Naptha soap in a saucepan with 3 pints hot water and heat on low until dissolved. Stir in Washing Soda and Borax. Stir until thickened, and remove from heat. Add 1 Quart Hot Water to 2 gallon Bucket. Add soap mixture, and mix well. Fill bucket with hot water, and mix well. Set aside for 24 hours, or until mixture thickens. Use 1/2 cup of mixture per load. One batch makes 64 loads. Cost per load averages .02 per load.


Second Recipe:
1 cup grated Fels Naptha Soap
1/2 cup Washing Soda (Arm and Hammer again)
1/2 cup Borax (20 mule team Borax)
2 Tablespoons Glycerin
2 cups water
Mix first three ingredients together, than add glycerin and water. Use 1/2 to 3/4 cup per load. This one works best in cold or warm water.

Guess I'm saving my empty liquid bottles!!! Woohoo!

No comments: